A lawsuit in New Jersey making headlines this week involves the widow of a 42-year-old lawyer who went into cardiac arrest and died at the Gloucester County courthouse. The wife of deceased attorney Peter Fiorentino Jr. is suing the county, alleging that negligence on the part of first responders was the cause of death. Read more
Tag Archive for: health effects of divorce
We don’t often get a behind-the-scenes look at how celebrities deal with the emotional fallout from divorce, which is all the more reason to applaud former Desperate Housewives actress Eva Longoria for having the courage to open up about her bout with depression following her 2011 divorce from husband and NBA superstar, Tony Parker. Read more
When you are going through a divorce, it can help to have a trusted person to talk to about the jumbled mix of emotions and feelings you may be experiencing right now. For many, seeing a therapist is beneficial, especially when it comes to getting “over the hump” of divorce. If you have children, seeking therapy — for everyone in the family — is typically recommended as a way for you to begin learning the tools and skills necessary to move forward. Read more
Jennie Garth has kept a low profile since announcing her split from actor husband Peter Facinelli this past March — which may be why the 90210 actress had tongues wagging she showed up at a recent movie opening looking very thin. Jennie owned up to her sudden slimdown, blaming her weight loss since March on her divorce, US magazine reports. Read more
There are dozens of books and web pages about how to heal from a divorce. What few people talk about is how a divorce can itself be a healing process. Here are a few circumstances where that might be true — situations where a married couple might actually begin a healing process by splitting up: Read more
The Wall Street Journal recently reported on a divorce boom among the over-50 crowd. “Gray divorce” is on the increase in spite of an overall trend of lower divorce rates. Although the WSJ’s article was exploring why this trend is happening, we’d like to point out that there are some unique factors in later-life divorce that might make a difference in how you go about a post-50 split. Read more
Listen to interview with New Jersey family law attorney Bari Weinberger and eHealth Radio host Eric Michaels as they discuss Divorce and Your Health topics that include answers to the following questions:
1. How does divorce affect a person’s health?
2. What is divorce anger?
3. How common is domestic violence and what should someone who is a victim do to protect themselves?
4. How can people minimize the impacts of divorce?
5. What can parents do to minimize the impacts of divorce on their children?
6. What are some ways people can prepare for a divorce?
7. What do you advise people to look for when choosing a divorce lawyer?
8. How can people prepare for their 1st meeting with their lawyer?
Topics addressed in this radio interview can also be heard in our vitally-important video/webinar: The 5 Critical Risks of Divorce!
- Keep it amicable. The more reasonable and amicable everyone is, the shorter the process and it can ultimately help lessen the overall cost, both financially and to the health and well-being of all involved.
- Don’t get your children involved the more you get them involved the more resentful they will be and the more it will harm your relationship with your children.
- Don’t be afraid to make compromises. A small compromise doesn’t need to translate into a weakness. A small compromise can often be recognized as a big gesture by the other party and can help move the process towards a quicker settlement. Try not to get caught up in the little battles and focus on the big picture.
Bari suggests, in her closing remarks, “Find a divorce lawyer who knows how to fight, but really appreciates how to listen to you, to know what you want and knows the best approach for you and your unique circumstances because every case is different and not every case should be a battle.”
Family Law Practice Areas
Connect With Us
135 US 202/206,
Bedminster, NJ 07921
83 South Street,
Freehold, NJ 07728
Court Plaza South-West Wing, 21 Main Street,
Hackensack, NJ 07601
1000 Atrium Way,
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
119 Cherry Hill Road,
Parsippany, NJ 07054