Enforcing Alimony Agreements

Enforcing Alimony Agreements and Court Orders

Worrried about Alimony?
We can protect your finances and secure your future.

If you have an alimony court order or a signed alimony agreement, you have a legal right to receive payments that are owed to you. When the person responsible for making these support payments fails to do so or is not being faithful to the terms of payment, an alimony lawyer is needed to help with enforcing your alimony agreement or court order.

Filing a Notice of Motion to Enforce Alimony Agreements

One of the ways an attorney can help enforce an alimony agreement is to file a Notice of Motion for enforcement with the court. If the non-paying party fails to comply with your New Jersey court order or alimony agreement, they are essentially violating your legal rights. In this event, our attorneys will zealously fight for your rights to obtain past due payments.

In the motion, the your attorney may ask for a variety of remedies, including but not limited to:

  • All outstanding payments to be brought up to date
  • All future payments to be paid on time
  • Counsel fees from the other party incurred by you in bringing this motion to the New Jersey Family Court
  • Bench Warrants for the arrest and incarceration of the defaulting party

Enforcing New Jersey Alimony Agreements or Court Orders

Once you have filed a Notice of Motion for enforcement of your spousal support agreement, the New Jersey courts may seek to enforce your order in a number of ways. Wage garnishment is one of the most common ways to legally enforce an alimony agreement. While there may be limits as to how much income can actually be garnished, you may be able to obtain all of your unpaid alimony payments through this method.

Another way to enforce a spousal support agreement or court order is through execution and sale. The local sheriff may seize and sell specific items in order to cover unpaid alimony.

When you are unable to obtain alimony payments that are rightfully yours, you may feel frustrated and helpless. Rest assured that there are legal options available to help you collect the money that is owed to you. Our attorneys will fight zealously for you to ensure that your alimony agreement or court order is enforced and your rights are fully protected. Contact us to request an initial consultation. Call today: (888) 888-0919.